Circuit History

How the former Ty Croes Army Training Camp developed into one of Europe’s most popular and technically demanding motorsport venues for a variety of disciplines that require wheels!

During the early 1990s, an Anglesey farmer, Edward (Ned) Jones persuaded the Bodorgan estate to permit him to test his rally car on the now derelict army camp at Ty Croes. The area had been subject to a compulsory purchase order by the Ministry of Defence in 1941. The Estate managed to to buy back the first tranche of land on 24th August 1989.

Things progressed quite rapidly and the Caernarvonshire and Anglesey Motor Club held their first Motor Sports Association permitted event stage rally on 24th August 1989. This proved a most popular event with a healthy mix of locals and competitors from further afield and led to several further stage rallies.

Old-CIrcuit-Map

Like the Wirral 100 and their motorcycle events, our original rally organiser is still providing rallies today, The Glyn Memorial Stages, held annually during November is an important part of our current calendar.

The New Anglesey Circuit

reconfiguration

During 2006-2007, construction began on the total reconfiguration of the circuit into the 2.1 mile International, 1.55 mile Coastal, 1.2 mile National and 0.8 mile Club circuits, using:

  • 300,000 tonnes of topsoil
  • 70,000 tonnes of sub-base
  • 50,000 tonnes of asphalt
  • 5 miles of white lines
  • 7000 metres of drainage pipe
  • A new pit wall
  • 2000 metres of fencing
  • 10,000 lorry tyres
  • 2000 metres of safety barriers
  • 9 tonnes of grass and wild flower seed

Notable dates

24 May 2007
Reopening after the total reconfiguration from the original 1.057 mile circuit to the current state of the art 2.1 mile circuit.

19 October 2007
Official opening by Deputy First Minister Ieuan Wyn Jones

19 September 2013
Official opening of pit lane complex by First Minister Carwyn Jones